Monday 27 April 2015

Evaluation Part 1

My horror trailer developed many of the forms and conventions of the horror genre. The first form and convention we focused on was cinematography. We used a wide variety of shots however we tried to pack our trailer with many close ups and canted angles. My reasoning behind this was that not only are both techniques highly conventional within the horror genre but I find the reason behind this very effective. Both close up shots and canted angles created a 'weird' view for the audience and, as usually we don’t invade one another’s space, nor look at one another on an obscure angle, it 'messes' with our mind and adds to the element of uncertainty and 'weirdness' I feel a horror trailer should have. We made sure these weren't the only shots we took into consideration and so we used a range of medium and long shots too - this helped keep our trailer exciting and entertained our audience as the same kind of shots from the same angle would have been highly boring to watch. Another form an convention I feel we used quite a lot of was a 'hand-held camera'. The idea behind this came from a film both me and Seraphina watched in order to spark some ideas - The Blair Witch Project. We felt with this being such a well-known, successful horror film ideas from it were bound to work well within the genre of horror. The hand-held camera added a sense of panic to the trailer which I feel again is highly important within this genre because it allows the audience to feel suspense and fear which are all essential if you were to make a 'good' horror film. I feel that horror is definitely meant to pick on the audiences emotions and make them feel vulnerable and I felt that using a hand-held camera makes the trailer seem more personal - as though the audience could be holding the camera themselves or experience what they are seeing on TV in a real life moment - making the trailer seem more personal and therefore more 'scary'.

                                             
The Blair Witch Project Trailer



               






      Handheld still from Jilted                                      Handheld still from The Blair Witch Project


Another convention we used was a very small element of body horror. We really didn't want to use fake blood or make our horror trailer into a gory horror because our aim was to create a psychological and therefore we kept this element very small. However, I feel that a slight bit of body horror is needed to fit with the usual conventions of the horror genre. To do this - when my character dies - we used makeup to create a gaunt look on my face. To do this we simply placed some black eye shadow under my eyes with a little tint of red. We felt that the red, depending on which type of horror fan our consumer watching our trailer would be, could appeal to them either way, whether a gory or psychological fan. The red could connote blood, which would appeal to a more body horror, gory fan, but also could simply connote death, or danger and add an element of realism to my ghostly character for a more psychological viewer. The idea for the dark makeup around my eyes came from one of my favourite psychological horrors: Insidious 2


                                Dark eye inspiration still - Insidious 2


My trailer fitted well with the horror genre. I feel it is important to have a definite genre when it comes to horror as I don’t feel like films with the genre of a 'Horror/Comedy' work as they are both such opposing emotions. However - getting the genre right is incredibly important. I researched in to Thomas Schatz - a man who has written books on film making and Studio System etc. He said that "..a genre represents a range of expression for the filmmakers and a range of experience for the viewers". The element of this quote that caught my eye was 'a range of experience for the viewers'. In order to ensure that my horror trailer was going to give my viewers the best experience that could get and feel a variety of different emotions, I looked further into other horror trailers to take ideas of pacing and music in order to create the type of atmosphere I wanted. The first horror trailer I looked at was Psycho.

                                                Psycho Trailer


The first thing I noticed about this was that although the film was old -1960- it still kept to the usual forms and conventions of a horror trailer in terms of pacing. To make sure that the pacing of this trailer didn’t just work well for the period of time that the film was made, I watched a more 'up to date horror trailer' to ensure that this effect of pacing to create emotion wasn’t just a ‘context thing’. 


                                Dawn of the Dead 2014 Trailer

After watching this trailer I realised that a pacing structure of 'slow, quick, slow, jump scare' really worked well with effecting the audiences emotion as it used slow shots to a quick montage of shots to create suspense and shock. The use of collision cutting is to provoke emotion and so listening to what Schatz had said I felt that it was essential to create panic. The pacing of my trailer ensured that it stuck to the horror genre. 

I think that another thing that helped ensure that my trailer remained within the horror genre was the non-diegetic music. Music is highly important within horror - I find that if you mute a horror trailer and watch it immediately at least half of its impact is lost because the music brings such a huge amount of suspense and fear to the audience. Choosing the music was difficult because a lot of 'scary' tunes are very 'over the top' which I felt almost added a sense of ‘fake-ness’ and sarcasm to their product. I feel that psychological horrors are very classy and therefore the non diagetic music had to be taken seriously, and tweaked enough so that other audio elements could still be clearly heard. 

Auteur Influences - 

Darren Aronofsky: All of Aronofsky's films share one similar link - an element of addiction. I find this very interesting in itself and so watch a couple of his films, such as Black Swan and The Wrestler to learn a little more about his auteur work. His obsession with 'addiction' definitely influenced me with the main male protagonist within my trailer. As a character he definitely shows elements of addiction or a 'creepy obsession' to his girlfriend - ending up with his fixation on her going too far resulting in her death. 
Context - 
I feel that within our generation 'lovers' as such are quite a big element of our life. In order to make a horror film scarier I feel that an audience member should be able to relate to it and, thinking about our generation, the thing I noticed most about us all is that the majority of us are all in relationships or at least searching for one. I feel that this is where our main idea for the two lovers to argue and for the male protagonist to kill his girlfriend came from - the idea that as a generation we are all too obsessed with 'finding a boyfriend/girlfriend' that we can lose the true values in life. Therefore, having an element in our trailer that linked two people together I felt would widen our target audience as consumers tend to view things that they can relate with.



                                'Realtionship' still from my trailer.




No comments:

Post a Comment